Welcome to Biggs-Hansen Orthodontics in Indianapolis, IN, your family orthodontist!
We are located at 9333 N. Meridian Street Suite 301 Indianapolis, IN 46260.
Parts of Braces
- Appliance – Anything your orthodontist attaches to your teeth or uses to move your teeth or change the shape of your jaw.
- Archwire – The metal wire that acts as a track to guide your teeth along as they move. It is changed periodically throughout treatment as your teeth move to their new positions.
- Band – A metal ring that is cemented to your tooth and goes completely around your tooth.Bands provide a way to attach brackets to your teeth.
- Bond – The seal created by orthodontic adhesives that holds your appliances in place.
- Bracket – A metal or ceramic part cemented (“bonded”) to your tooth that holds your archwire in place.
- Coil Spring – A spring that fits between your brackets and over your archwire to open space between your teeth.
- Elastic (Rubber Band) – A small rubber band that is hooked between different points on your appliance to provide pressure to move your teeth to their new position.
- Elastic Tie – The rubber band that fits around your bracket to hold the archwire in place. They come in a variety of colors.
- Hook – A welded or removable arm to which elastics are attached.
- Ligature Wire – A thin wire that holds your archwire into your bracket.
- Mouthguard – A device that protects your mouth from injury when you participate in sports or rigorous activities.
- Palatal Expander – A device that makes the upper jaw wider.
- Retainer – An appliance that is worn after your braces are removed, the retainer attaches to your upper and/or lower teeth to hold them in place. Some retainers are removable and others are bonded to the tongue-side of several teeth.
- Separator (or Spacer) – A small rubber ring that creates space between your teeth before the bands are attached.
- Tie Wire – A fine wire that is twisted around your bracket to hold the archwire in place.
- Wax – Wax is used to stop your braces from irritating your lips.
- Aligners – An alternative to traditional braces, aligners straighten your teeth with a series of clear custom-molded aligners. Aligners can correct some, but not all, orthodontic problems. Brands we use include Invisalign®, 3M Clarity, and Details Aligners.
- Banding – The process of fitting and cementing orthodontic bands to your teeth.
- Bonding – The process of attaching brackets to your teeth using special orthodontic adhesive.
- Cephalometic X-ray – An x-ray of your head which shows the relative positions and growth of the face, jaws, and teeth.
- Consultation – A meeting with your orthodontist to discuss findings and treatment recommended.
- Debanding – The process of removing orthodontic appliances from your teeth.
- Scanning – The process of capturing a digital impression using a scanner, which does not require impression material.
- Panoramic X-ray – An x-ray that rotates around your head to take pictures of your teeth, jaw and other facial areas.