You’ve taken that first step toward having a straight set of pearly whites — by getting braces! But in order for those braces to do their job well, and to avoid complications, it requires a bit of commitment from you. At the office of Biggs-Hansen Orthodontics in Indianapolis, IN, we’re here to help restore your smile to its former glory and will show you the proper care for your braces as soon as we begin your orthodontic treatment.
As you can imagine, teeth with braces are harder to clan and food gets trapped in them very easily, which can cause unsightly etching of the enamel on your teeth and increase the risk of gum disease which will slow down tooth movement.
Here are some tips taking good care of your teeth — and your braces:
- Brush two to three times per day.
- Brush back and forth, across and between the wires and gums both on top and bottom to loosen any food particles.
- Next, brush as you ordinarily would if you had no braces.
- Start on the outside of the uppers with the bristles at a 45 degree angle toward the gum and scrub with a circular motion two or three teeth at a time using ten strokes, then move on.
- Next, do the same on the inner surface of the upper teeth.
- Then, go to the lower teeth and repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.
- Use a floss threader once a day to floss with your braces on.
At the office of Biggs-Hansen Orthodontics in Indianapolis, IN, our experienced, highly-skilled team uses the latest techniques to correct a wide range of orthodontic problems for patients of all ages. Give us a call Indianapolis, IN, orthodontics office today to learn more about how we can help you achieve that million-dollar smile!
By Biggs-Hansen Orthodontics in Indianapolis, IN
February 26, 2021